Knights of Columbus

Plymouth Council 1789

Plymouth, WI  53073

 

HISTORY OF Plymouth COUNCIL 1789

KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS, PLYMOUTH, WISCONSIN

 

Supreme Council

Thanks to the efforts of Father Michael J. McGivney, assistant pastor of St. Mary’s Church in New Haven and some of his parishioners, the Connecticut state legislature on March 29, 1882, officially chartered the Knights of Columbus as a fraternal benefit society. The Order is still true to its founding principles of charity, unity and fraternity.

 

The Knights  was formed to render financial aid to members and their families. Mutual aid and assistance are offered to sick, disabled and needy members and their families. Social and intellectual fellowship is promoted among members and their families through educational, charitable, religious, social welfare, war relief and public relief works.

The history of the Order shows how the foresight of Father Michael J. McGivney, whose cause for sainthood is being investigated by the Vatican, brought about what has become the world's foremost Catholic fraternal benefit society. The Order has helped families obtain economic security and stability through its life insurance, annuity and long-term care programs, and has contributed time and energy worldwide to service in communities.

The Knights of Columbus has grown from several members in one council to more than 13,000 councils and 1.7 million members throughout the United States, Canada, the Philippines, Mexico, Poland, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Panama, the Bahamas, the Virgin Islands, Guatemala, Guam and Saipan.

Plymouth Council 1789

Plymouth Council 1789 was chartered in 1915 by Supreme Council in New Haven, Connecticut.  The founding charter officers were:  Grand Knight, Hugh J. Rooney; Deputy Grand Knight, Henry Ross; Financial Secretary, Charles O. Quackenboss; Recorder, Henry M. Zeigler; Treasurer, Edward P. Hand; Advocate James Leahy; Lecturer, William Birkle; Chaplain, Rev. Edward J. Meyer; and Physician, Dr. G Edmund Knauf.  Today's council no longer elects or appoints a Physician.

First Grand Knigh Hugh J. Rooney served for one fraternal year, 1915 - 1916.  William W. Birkle followed and served as Grand Knight for two years 1916 - 1918.  Charles O. Quackenboss was elected as the third Grand Knight, but resigned the office at the first meeting following his election because he was transferred by his employer to Janesville, Wisconsin.  Deputy Grand Knight, Francis Burke was elected to the office of Grand Knight and served from 1918 - 1919.

More to come about our Council's history later.